View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Draco
Senior Yorkie Talker

I clicker trained my Pom Teddy, at petsmart and will probably do the same with Draco.
Though the way some of you guys describe makes me wonder why you guys think the clicker is being used...
When I took Teddy it was to pinpoint the thing I wanted him to do. The class still used commands w/ hand signals and gave praise and treats when did the action correctly. It's not like some kind of remote or anything, just something that helps when first learning a trick. And knowing what you want faster.
I think it's great for puppies and dogs with short attention spans and lots of energy. When it comes to tricks/commands like "Watch me" or "Leave it" it was great to have the clicker as it pinpointed at the half second of eye contact is what I was rewarding him for when teaching him "watch me". Also Teddy was never attached to the clicker, after I felt like he knew what I want, we'd practice it without the clicker, then just hand signals.
I think it's definitely depends on the dog, I was giving commands with Draco w/o a clicker and he did well. But seemed to do even better when I bought the clicker. I want to put him in group classes only to help with concentration, distractions, obeying with other dogs and people around since I live alone.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!