View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Here are some thoughts to consider and use if you like. I don't know much about the dog so had to assume some things so disregard as over-generalization any situation that might not fit you or your dog. With most history, I could probably get a little closer to your situation so I am just posting a most general response to what your OP seems to indicate to me at this time.

Dogs poo and pee for various reasons - from stress, loneliness, frustration, exasperation, scents from outside, out of respect and for relief from all of those in addition to full bladders/bowels. Your dog is an older dog and has to be respected that he might have his own issues and given more time than a few months in order to be completely fair to him. He senses he's being left out and senses disapproval - heightening his anxiety state. When you take him out to potty before you leave, likely he's too anxious to go, knowing the worst is about to happen - his being left alone. Dogs are pack animals and until they are trained differently - and some even then - being alone is one of the worst things in the world to many of them. They want their pack - so we have to train and basically temper them to our way of life. It doesn't happen automatically and I wonder if his previous life might have been one where he was used to constant company.

Whatever his history or your lifestyle or anything else, a busy, healthy and happy dog will learn correct potty habits in most cases, given enough time and proper training. But when you get a rescue or older dog, there is usually always rehab work to do. I'd get busy enriching this dogs life, training him in obedience and working at learning things to build up his self-esteem, slowly teaching him how to obey you and want to please you for a positive reward and putting him on a strict potty regimen where he's taken out so often for a while he's bound to go potty some of those times and in the process, desensitize him from the outings. I'd simply take him out every 30 - 60 minutes for the first two weeks from this point on and then 30 minutes after meals, immediately after hard exercise, grooming, after visitors arrive and leave, after he's been in his crate or has napped or immediately after any intense experience in his life. He won't be so anxious that your are about to go off and leave him if you take him out a lot all day or evening and get him used to it. It will just begin to seem routine to him. This is part of what you buy into anytime you rescue a dog or get an older dog. You realize extra work might be required to make the dog into a good companion. And really, it's not that awful to devote a couple of weeks to get them out a lot in the big scheme of things.

I would get both yourself and your husband get involved in obedience training and walking him a lot. For 5 minutes a day 3 x a day(15 mins. total), give him basic obedience training and really praise and treat him for getting his command right and just say "uh oh" and no treat when he doesn't. Little by little with this training and rewarding of getting it right, he's learning how to work hard to get that reward. Keep it upbeat, loving, patient and very fun. It is a bonding and re-affirming exercise which helps dogs learn to trust in us and want very badly to please us. Get him out for frequent walks whenever you can - at least 2 a day. Buy him a couple of challenging toys and gently teach him how to use them to get the treat out. These challenges are so beneficial to keep a dog busy when you have to leave. Challenge him with little games you make up.

Train your dog to accept your leaving by simple Separation Anxiety training. I will post the way to train that if you want - just let me know. It slowly desensitizes the dog to accepting being left in a crate or pen while you are gone and they don't get stressed by it. Most simply learn to shut down and sleep while we are away with this training after a while. It is worth the little time it will take to do it and will pay off the rest of the dog's life.

A whole program of helping your dog to learn how to work learning commands and tricks for rewards and payoffs and gain self-confidence, pride of accomplishment and how to obey you, challenging games of hiding his treats about the house, under overturned Dixie cups, seeking out a special toy or object for a treat and toys lots of fun exercise and desensitization training can take a lot of his anxiety and stress issues away and make him over into the perfect pet, even when you have to be gone.

High-energy, unsure or nervous dogs or dogs that produce more adrenaline naturally are those that require extra work. Dogs that have sort of given up on life or very calm, submissive dogs are those that readily accept whatever life has to offer without protest and just go along. It sounds as if your dog is the former, so he'll take some more work. Would you be interested in the Separation Anxiety training tips?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!