View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Great advice above. Was he strictly outdoor trained in his previous home?

My Teddy had the urge to poop when he thought he was being left home alone (although he has a Yorkie brother, and I was only going outside to work in the yard). He is pad trained, so I would put him in his xpen with the pad and leave for 5 minutes. Then I would come back and take care of the poop, then go outside again. He overcame this nervous habit.

Whatever method of potty training you use, consistency will be key. Use keywords and rewards for good potty. We still throw parties for when the doggies do their business right.

I would advise against free roaming. Restrict his freedom to a smallish area, perhaps a room with a floor that is easy to clean.

I also like the suggestion to exercise him before you leave and keep him outside long enough to potty. The exercise will help wear him out and reduce anxiety.

Training for anxiety: As suggested above, leave without making a big deal. Practice leaving for a few minutes at a time and gradually increase the time. My boys understand "I'll be back." Always use keyphrases. They are so smart and learn these things.

I also agree that your boy needs lots of love and patience. Try not to show frustration or anger, both of which will hinder training big time.

Does your husband have a good relationship with your boy? That is also a big factor.

Best wishes. Keep us updated.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!