Thread: body language
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
gaijingirl
YT Addict

Yes, he is always happy to see us. He runs to the door and wags his tail and runs around and does zoomies sometimes. He'll say hi and then often immediately go and grab a toy and bring it to you.
He definitely is 100% terrier! He is quite confident in himself (maybe a little too much...he is the type who is not afraid of anything) and takes himself quite seriously.

We definitely actively work on training. He has his CGC, is a registered therapy dog and we work daily on various tricks and agility. We take agility classes twice a week. He can train for really long periods of time without getting bored. He's super smart, so when he was younger, he was always looking for trouble. He was a lot of work! It's like he needed constant mental stimulation. He could never just sit there and relax and sleep like a lot of dogs. He was constantly wanting to engage you in some sort of play or game. Very, very busy. Actually, several people who saw him in action said, if we ever had a kid, they would seem easy compared to this dog. haha. He is probably about 4 years old now, so he has mellowed out (hence now being able to be a therapy dog) but he definitely thrives on action. Loves new places and new people.

Just out of curiosity, why do you ask? Given my description, would you have thought he did actively train or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Sounds to me as a working dog breeder, you actually have a working terrier type, and quite a serious soul at that.

But how does he greet you? What is his display of excitement with seeing you home, and I betcha there has to be a least a few things.

My Yorkie does not sit with his mouth open grinning at me, but his tail is up and wagging happily to see me when I come home, when I get up in the morning, or if hubby takes him for a walk and he comes home again.

Razzle can be super intense as well. Just a curious question do you actively train and work with your dog?

All my animals come to me, when they don't feel well. THey will display their dis-quiet in front of me, even if only at a distance.

My senior male has been too very dignified since past 4yrs old to ring the potty bell; he thinks it is beneath him! Instead he stands in front of the potty door, and sometimes this is just to look outside, and sometimes it is to go outside, cause he needs to potty. I have learnt to ask him, do you really need to potty? And a subtle shift in his body language tells me yes. Slight head cock, slight shifting of rear feet from one to the other, yup that is potty for him.
Now a subtle drawing in and hunching of his topline and a much lowered head carriage coupled with a long head turn back to me, says he needs to be sick and wants to go outside to do this.

And usually that means he has gotten into food he should not have. Including kibble. One time, he got into an open bag of kibble that should have been behind closed doors, and ate until I don't know when. That was a 3am alert call to Mommy. Boy did he have bad diarrehea from that foray.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!