Thread: body language
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Lil Sis
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Great intro video to doggy language. Clear and succinct for the beginners.

For example an alert guardy kind of dog, like our YT's are and many other breeds, when they are interested in "something" or on "guard", their tails will be up, they will :stand: like a world class dog, feet firmly under them, head up, back level, on their tip toes, and give the impression of suppressed forward action. Their ears will be pricked up, their gaze forward and focussed and their body fairly still, the tail might wag a bit, or conversely be absolutely still.

They also have another quite rich communication strategy and that are the sounds they make. Many different types of barks, from the HI Mommy is home, to that dratted mailman is walking by. There is a play bark, and a whiney kind of bark, an over the top kind of excited bark, and a lonely bark.

Some dogs actually verbalize with more than just barks, some whine, or croone, howl, or almost chirp.

I have to laugh.. I have a howler when she gets excited. Now Bailey he sneezes when the puppy (ace) is bothering him too much. It is a talent to watch each dog and read the messages they are giving.

We walk all 4 dogs twice a day. There are many children in the neighborhood and I try to "teach" them how to approach dogs. One of the Myth is ..if the tail is wagging the dog is happy. No... my Sam wags his tail when he is excited --not alway a good thing lol I tell the children a frighten, scared or excited dog is the ones to be very careful around. Bailey gets scared .. he groans... he is the one I make sure kids do not run up to.
Lil Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!