Thread: body language
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijingirl View Post
I feel like my dog never has that typical super happy dog body language. He never just has that relaxed mouth, wiggly body thing going on. Is it just a breed thing? Do any of you have Yorkies that sit there with their mouths open, grinning at you? Is my dog just terribly uptight? lol.
He always seems pretty serious about whatever he is doing. Playing toys, playing watch dog, going for walks, sniffing....It's like he's super intense about it. He's always giving 100% to whatever "job" it is that he has at the moment.
Sounds to me as a working dog breeder, you actually have a working terrier type, and quite a serious soul at that.

But how does he greet you? What is his display of excitement with seeing you home, and I betcha there has to be a least a few things.

My Yorkie does not sit with his mouth open grinning at me, but his tail is up and wagging happily to see me when I come home, when I get up in the morning, or if hubby takes him for a walk and he comes home again.

Razzle can be super intense as well. Just a curious question do you actively train and work with your dog?

All my animals come to me, when they don't feel well. THey will display their dis-quiet in front of me, even if only at a distance.

My senior male has been too very dignified since past 4yrs old to ring the potty bell; he thinks it is beneath him! Instead he stands in front of the potty door, and sometimes this is just to look outside, and sometimes it is to go outside, cause he needs to potty. I have learnt to ask him, do you really need to potty? And a subtle shift in his body language tells me yes. Slight head cock, slight shifting of rear feet from one to the other, yup that is potty for him.
Now a subtle drawing in and hunching of his topline and a much lowered head carriage coupled with a long head turn back to me, says he needs to be sick and wants to go outside to do this.

And usually that means he has gotten into food he should not have. Including kibble. One time, he got into an open bag of kibble that should have been behind closed doors, and ate until I don't know when. That was a 3am alert call to Mommy. Boy did he have bad diarrehea from that foray.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!