View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreiley View Post
I just read a few posts on the breeder forum, and I probably should not have. My yorkiepoo seems pretty healthy. Her temperament is perfect; she is on her way to being potty trained and we all love her. When we first got her, she had intestinal worms then developed a yeast infection in her ear. The vet said that was not unusual in puppies. As I said, she seems great now.
Her breeder was a lady who lives in the country. She doesn't breed champions or anything like that--just breeds dogs to sell. We met Scarlett's mom, and she offered to show us her dad, but he was in the muddy back yard, so we declined. She said she had been keeping her puppies in a playpen in her house.
I guess my question is if Scarlett is going to have problems, when would they show up? I sure hope this breeder is ok because we feel like this dog is the perfect dog for us, and obviously we didn't know a lot about breeders.
Okay I can not answer this fully, as I have not investigated the poodle breed for their common health problems.

So I would do that, and you can see on here all the common health ailments for Yorkies.

LP can first be felt as early as 8wks old and for sure by now your vet should have told you if your pup has LP or loose knees.

The trachea health can be felt as well quite young. This refers to Collapsing Trachea.

Hip problems especially Leggs Perthes usually show up around 7-8 months old, and Hip Dysplasia in toy breeds might not show clinical symptoms especially if mild until after one year old. The same goes for Elbow Dysplasia.

Cataracts and PRA can show up as late as 5-7 yrs old.

Liver Shunt either external or internal, might not show up until older, although there are special blood tests called BATS you can do at 16 wks old and again at 6mths old to give you an indication of their liver health. Those tests are not a "failsafe" by any means, but can give you some indicators.

Thyroid problems can show up almost at any time. A full blood panel taken yearly can give some key overall health indicators for your dogs internal organ function.

Bladder problems are much more variable, there are some genetic bladder problems that usually don't start to show until after 5 yrs old, unless of course they are occasioned from liver problems.

Heart is variable as well. PDA should show up fairly early on in a puppies life - as early as 4wks old, and for certain by your first vet visit.
Other heart problems, such as murmurs etc, might not be ddx'd early on.

Finally if you don't have pet health insurance, and do not have the financial kitty or savings to cover genetic defects and or other health conditions, may I suggest you get it now, before you are faced with some serious health concerns. Your gal is young and presumably healthy so getting pet insurance should not be too much of an issue.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!