View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
yorkie-gems
Yorkie Talker

I understand your feelings, of being excluded... just because you have small children. I hear all of the time; I've raised my children to be gentle. I'm sure you have. However I try to explain it this way, just to help people to understand the risks.
How many times has your child put something into their own mouth they shouldn't? How many times has your youngster tripped? Now, how often was it over nothing, and they still hurt themselves?
Or accidentally dropped kicked a toy reaching down for it? Or even just dropped a toy period?
Even the smallest toy car falling on a puppy's head, from a foot above, could kill your puppy instantly.
Do your children listen well, and mind your every word or rule? Probably not. So if you aren't able to monitor 100% of the time, as a parent... we have no idea what the cheeky little monkey's are up to. Especially when it gets quiet!! "lol"
These are just a few of the ways young kids could hurt a very fragile puppy. That's not to say adults are a lot better, but we definitely have better motor skills, and more control over our bodies in certain situations. An adult running through the room, will be cautious of their steps.... thinking about the puppy. A young excited child probably won't. They B line it, straight for what ever they are excited about.
As for the adult rescue's, most probably weren't raised with children. As you can see, it's hard to find a breeder that will allow it. There for it's just easier to wait for another family vs taking the chance.
Tiny dogs in general don't like small children, due to their high energy levels, and quick movements. It scares them, and rightly so in some cases.
I agree, looking for a larger Yorkie would be your best bet.
In most cases, if you explain to the breeder... that you want the biggest in the litter, they'll give in.
Otherwise, I would just wait to get your pup, until the kids are older.
Best wishes, and I hope you find your dream puppy!!
yorkie-gems is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!