Thread: Vaccinations
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #44
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Rabies is necessary sometime between 4 and 6 months depending on state law, then one year later, then every 1 to 3 years.

DHO is necessary with one round being given at or after 16 weeks. The number of rounds depends on the starting date. Then a booster is needed one year later. Then the schedule is highly variable, but it should not be given yearly.

All other vaccines are non-core, need to be given every 6 to 12 months, are not always protective, and should only be used if the risk of disease and secondary infections clearly outweighs the risk of the vaccine itself.

My dogs do ok respiratory-wise. They do not need to be vaccinated for bordatella. I woud rather my dogs gets kennel cough than vaccinating every year. Same goes for myself and the flu shot.

Lyme is very treatable. As ling as an owner is paying attention to symptoms treatment should take care of it. I don't like what I have read so far about the vaccine.

Lepto is way overused, imo. Yes, one of my dogs gets it, but we are an extremely high risk state and he is a naughty boy sniffing everything out. And my jury is still out on whether or not he should have it.

You get the bad with the good. As good is vaccines are and as good as they look, they are negative consequences to getting them. Each case needs to be very carefully considered.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!