View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
Yorkie24U
YT 500 Club Member

I wish you luck with trying to get exempt from rabies shots in TX. I don't know their laws, but the state of MA requires a note of exemption from a vet if the shots threatens the dogs life. In my case, my little 3 lb. blind yorkie had her rabies shot due, never had a problem with it before, given every 3 yrs. This time she was diagnosed with second stage kidney disease in Oct. , her rabies shot was due March 1..... So when it came due the vet tech gave her the shot, never checking her health record which stated she has kidney disease ! She became sick an hour later, and I took her to the Vet ER, where she stayed for 2 days on fluids/meds. We took her home as the vet said there was nothing they could do for her. We gave her sub-q fluids and syringed fed her for a week, then decided she was too weak to stay with us, so we had to let her go, on March 12, 2013. She was 13 yrs, 4 mo. old, such a cuddle bug, we miss her terribly.

We did NOT know a KD dog is NOT suppose to get shots, let alone the Rabies shot which is the same amount of sirum for 100 lb. dog as it is for a 3 lb. dog. That tech/vet did NOT check on her records and gave her the shot anyways. We do not go to that vet anymore & we will report it to the Board of Vet Med of MA.

We still have her blind sister, who is almost 4 lbs now due to taking prednisone for her alzheimers, and she also has KD. She is 15 yrs 6 mo. now and its a day at a time with her & she's ok so far. BUT she will not get any shots of any kind or we won't use any topical bug treatments on her. If she is still with us by the time her next Rabies shot is due, the vet will write a note of exemption, but we don't think she'll make it .

Please be careful with how many 'protective' shots are given, the titer testing is the way to go. Lesson learned the hard way for us, just hope this information saves more dogs so loosing mine won't be in vain.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!