View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #37
ShowGirlLola
YT 1000 Club Member

All 4 of my dogs ate poor diets and lived to be pretty old.

The first 2, a yorkie (5lbs) and a mutt (around 40lbs) ate kibbles 'n bits or other similar dry foods all day and got half a can of mighty dog at night. They also got dog treats like puperoni and some people food.
-The yorkie lived to be 18, as a puppy he had a liver problem and the last year or so he had Alzheimer's.
-The mutt lived to be 17, she had some fatty tumors, other than that she was healthy.

They died in the early 2000's, so the ingredients might have been different than they are now.

The second 2, were poodles, litter mates, and around 12lbs. They were from a back yard breeder . Their diet was very similar the first two, but they also got half a piece of american cheese every morning.
-One poodle had epilepsy and a slight heart murmur most of her life, the last year and a half she had CHF and leukemia. She lived to be 15 1/2.
The last year her diet was truly terrible; it was very hard to get her to eat so we gave her whatever she wanted (pizza, ice cream, etc). The vet was amazed that she lived as long as she did.

-The other poodle had some fatty tumors, we aren't sure why she died, neither is the vet. She lived to be 14 1/2.

I know these are just anecdotes, and I wouldn't recommend this type of diet.

I'm trying to feed Lola better food.
I'm more worried about the recalls than anything else.
ShowGirlLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!