View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
tricia208
Senior Yorkie Talker

My Edward had separation issues after we first got him. He bonded with me for some reason instead of my husband. What I did not know at the time was that bonding can be good but it can also lead to other issues so you are good to address it in the early stages. I researched on the internet and then found a book that gave me some good suggestions. The bandana idea mentioned in an earlier post is good and also waiting until they calm down before acknowledging them. I refer to that as the 'Ceasar' method - no touch, no talk, no eye contact! If you watch the Dog Whisperer then you have heard that before.

With my dog it started as separation anxiety, then it was thunderstorms, the diesel engine of the garbage trucks. I can't tell you how I started disliking July 4th and New Year's Eve - Fireworks! Wrapping his chest with the Thundershirt or just an Ace bandage helps if it gets serious. That compression on the chest makes him feel safe. I put Edward next to me but I don't hold him when he is stressed. I will sit on the sofa or my office chair with him laying next to me and wait until he calms down. Holding a dog when they are stressed only encourages the behavior.

He is better but my vet said he will not ever be rid of the anxiety completely. I hope your situation is not as extreme as mine but the good news is there is a lot of ideas, treatments and solutions to try until you find the right one. All the best!
tricia208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!