Thread: Fighting
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Anny Mendoza
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I would say so! And hope you don't think I was being snarky, I just re-read my post and it could've come across that way... I used to love CM, but fortunately learned about real dog training.

Check out this thread, http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...own-holly.html
I didn't feel that you were being snarky
I read the whole post, i've seen that clip before but never noticed what really happened. I also am/was a big fan of CM but after watching this and reading Jim's blog, I'm starting to doubt him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Well, I do strongly disagree with that and I'll tell you why I don't like it in dealing with dogs. Alpha rolling is really a form of intimidation that an owner or trainer really doesn't need to use and with a big, powerful dog, leaning over it close enough to physically roll it over can put your vulnerable face and throat far too close to those dangerous teeth. Physically intimidating a dog is far from necessary when dealing with them in close quarters and if done by a psychologically weak person, the dog will sometimes leap up and bite as soon as it sees its way clear since the alpha rolling to expose its belly can really scare the occasional nervous or fearful dog and they may not react well to it at all. But dominating a dog isn't necessary to train it and domination of some dogs can break their trust in their owner or trainer. I just wouldn't do it as there are so many better ways to stop a dog fight and gain the respect of a dog. I'd just Google the terms "alpha rolling" and read some of the dog experts' and others' opinions on its use if I were you and gain some more input on the subject and then see what you think about it.
Thanks Jeanie for the explanation and suggestion.
Reading some articles about alpha dogs made me feel bad! (I used to watch CM's show and kinda follow what he does)
This made me open my eyes, and this is why I love YT. Every day you learn something new!

Oow and Jacqueline, I hope you feel better and I hope the situation with your dogs get better
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!