Thread: Threat!
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #71
SWHouston
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineNoelle View Post
Maybe it would work with a female guard dog. What breed of herding dog do you recommend and do you think it would work if I got a female guard dog instead of a male. They would have to get along bc I could never leave a dog outside. Thank you for your recommendation.
The key to introductions like we're talking about is, that you don't create a situation where your resident animals are threatened by the newcomer.
That's why I recommend a Puppy. 99.9% of the time, the residents will accept it as their little puppy, and it will grow up knowing that there are Senior members of the Pack over it.

HA, don't think for a minute, that a Female can't cut the mustard when protecting it's Pack. In fact, they trigger a lot quicker than a Male, and can be just as vicious. But, understand, you don't really need to put your "guard dog" in harm's way. Just the threat of a larger animal is just as effective, and someone knowing that they are going to have to deal with it (via your primary barrier), before they get to your little ones, is going to be good enough.

Lots of people use Sheppard and Rotties for Guarding, and they are really good at it. But, those guys don't "attach" as well as a Herder. That's the key to soliciting that level of protection. Having the new dog accept your Pack as it's pack, and be willing to go to heal and back for them.

These "larger" dogs can be in the house with you...no problem. Just when you are going to let your little ones out, put the big dog out into your primary zone, where it can present interference for the Pack. You might even create/build a Jump Platform where the big dog could move from the interior fenced area out to the primary, and the little guys couldn't.

For my circumstances, I'm looking at an Australian, or maybe as large as an Old English. Herders come in all sizes, here's a list...

AKC Breeds by Group - Herding Group

Pick one you like
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!