View Single Post
Old 04-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

I commend you for asking questions and getting advice from current owners, breeders and lovers of the breed before impulsively buying a puppy! You are very smart indeed.

They is so much info on this forum that you could read for days if you conducted a search to discover how to tell a good breeder from a bad one and what questions to ask a breeder, how to care for a yorkie, what their special needs are, etc.

As for finding what you want in your price range, I think it is possible if you are diligent and can wait. You should find a good breeder first and develop a relationship with them, get to know them and their dogs and then watch the litters until you find a puppy you want. Hopefully, by that time the breeder will be so convinced at what a good mommy you will be that he/she will give you a healthy pet that's in your budget.

The smaller yorkies who stay under 4 lbs as an adult are in high demand right now and are usually more expensive for a lot of reasons. These smaller dogs need even more time and attention and special care than an average size yorkie so breeders really screen those who want to buy them to insure that they will go to responsible pet owners. They will not sell to a teenage girl to be her fashion accessory. They prefer they go to empty nesters who are home all the time. Males are in less demand than females though so you have something going because you wnat a male.

To find a good breeder I would call some local yorkie clubs and vets and ask them for referrals. Read the posts on this forum regarding questions to ask and trust your gut feeling. You can also check the YTCA for breeders in your area.

Good luck and ask all the questions you want!
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!