View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. What if we actually got a nation wide ban on selling pups in pet stores? What if that put the commercial breeders out of business? Would it really? Or would they open up retail environment at their place of business?

What if we could start with commercial breeders who want to register with AKC their pups - having to prove per breed they want to register, that they have done all the pre breeding health tests? What if every state law was changed so that no puppy sold/given away must be microchipped to permanently identify the breeder? And that would include any homebased breeders you'all know especially those ones that just want to breed the family pet. And then if a genetic problem arose, there would be some sort of financial penalty levied back on the breeder?

You know it used to be considered that owning a purebred dog was a priviledge, not accessible to everyone due to a whole lot of things, supply was scant, prices were high, and purebred pups were place usually within close proximity to the breeder.

If you wanted a herding dog, you went to the local farmers market, where they had a whole lot of things going on, including competitions in herding sheep or cattle. At that time we had true animal husbandry knowledge and experience. A herding dog that couldn't learn their trade, was placed with a farmer or city folk who didn't need or want a herding dog.
The story goes for Rottweilers, they were developed to guard their master, the burgher, who after late night closing, and carrying home his money purse was guarded by that big Rottie, from thieves and muggers. A rottie that did not have the stable temperament, and the size and fitness for this, simply was not bred.

And most dogs were kept outside as a matter of course. Yes and even our wee Yorkies, who were ratters. Mayhap they lived in the barn.

We all know things were far from perfect in those times, but it sure seems like things today, are really far from perfect.

So the reality we live in today, seems to include a mind-set that we "deserve" what-ever our little heart desires.

And so the story continues, as long as folks desire these purebreds, but can't afford the price tag on a well bred pup, then there is a big market out there for the "economy" model. Unfortunately for many owners they have found out the hard way there is no "cheap" way to breed.

I kid you not on the costs of raising a purebred dog(s), and championing them, then breeding them, and those costs.

I have written about this before, I don't exaggerate at all. But there is no way on earth I could see ever getting near to recovering my costs if I charged $500 per pup. And our large breed has at least 6-8 pups per litter. In fact to even break even on the purchase and show ch's for 2 dogs it would take roughly using 7pups per litter at $500=$3500 at least three litters to recoup the purchase cost of the dogs and the championship costs. By that time our females would be having one or at the most 2 litters left in their breeding life.
Now imagine a Yorkie Breeder average litter size 4-5 pups maybe? Still costs the same for pre breeding and showing.

Most of us barely break even, if we do it correctly. Just like you, we breeders put aside emergency funds (a whole lot of them), we have refunds we might need to do in the future, help an owner out with vet costs (whether it is in the contract or not), and then yes you betcha we spend our bit extra - where? On our dogs of course! Every breeder I have met has their wee bit of extravagance vs a vs dogs.
I have about every grooming tool in the book now; and am always looking at shows at guess what? Yup, what is the latest gadget out there.
Not to mention shampoos, and conditioners, and products for their coats

I am still trying to figure out how we can afford a Sprinter van Those things are very expensive to run and maintain, not to mention the outright purchase cost!

Anyhow I digress.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!