View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Harrysmum
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysmum View Post
Oh dear - Andy always says to the plants I buy "come home to die...."

I did try growing cherry tomatoes - I think the plant produced maybe 4 tomatoes the whole summer (they never did turn really red, sort of remained that greenish colour).

And then I saw a bird poop on them and that was the end of my horticultural shenanigans.... I really wish you a million times more luck with your cherry tomatoes! Sally x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlain View Post
I know this does not exactly answer you question, but for anyone that likes the small cherry tomatoes I thought you might like to know about a variety I recently started buying. I was always surprised that even though the cherry or grape tomatoes are small most of the plants grow very tall and need to be staked and can be hard to manage in a small space. A few years ago I came across a plant called tumbling tom. I have had easy luck growing it in a 9-12" patio pot on standard height plant stand. It winds up spreading out a bit like the shape of a petunia pot but it does not grow long where it reaches the floor. It constantly puts out tomatoes well until the fall, like all tomatoes it does require good sun to produce a lot of fruit. It's not even a bad looking plant so I have it on my front porch mixed in with my flower pots. I have only found this variety in one of the more expensive type of garden stores that sell a LOT of varieties of vegetable plants, growers at my farmers market had not even heard of it.
They're the variety I was 'growing'

I planted a large hanging basket with just one plant, so it had plenty of space to grow, expecting a beautiful cascade of jewel-like tiny tumbling toms....I even fed them 'Tomorite'....

Just goes to show - it's ME - Andy's right.... Sally x
Harrysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!