View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
TresCutePiggies
Owned by Rory & Lane
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
Frankly, you can buy a very unhealthy Yorkshire Terrier. It is overbred by many many unscrupulous people who believe that as long as they can get a dog (any dog) really small, they can sell it. It is a shame and a travesty. It's gotten to the point that so many "pure bred" yorkies don't look like the breed standard any more.

On the other hand, you can purchase a really healthy and beautiful yorkshire terrier puppy at a competitive rate as well. You must understand that when buying any pure bred animal, that you FIRST BUY THE BREEDER. You don't find a breeder by looking at the adorable pictures on a website or even in person. You find a breeder based upon his/her knowledge and experience with the specific breed.

I would suggest that you consider a breeder who shows dogs. That doesn't mean you're purchasing a "show dog." Not every dog born from champions is itself a champion in the ring. Many times, show breeders have puppies that due to one flaw or another can't be shown. Those dogs will be adopted to pet owners - usually with a contract to spay/neuter. That's because the breeders don't want you to breed their animals. They cultivate specific lines that they've developed and only the best dogs will be bred/shown.

A dog purchased from a show breeder will likely be very very healthy and beautiful. It will also likely have a great temperment - which is needed for the show ring.

NEVER purchase a dog from a pet store or breeder that is only selling puppies - even mixed breeds. I read one entry somewhere lately where the person was describing a puppy mill as having puppies in cages on top of one another. The puppies peed & poo'd right through the crates and onto the dogs below. Those puppies could not be trained.

If you are inclined to purchase a "mix breed", I'd suggest you find a shelter dog. You'd probably get a better history about the background of a pup from a shelter than from a pet store.

You can find a great yorkie if you find a great breeder first.

Good luck. Tracey
Great post and much more succinct than I was!

One of my dogs is a puppy mill rescue (and it's not even one of the worst I've seen), but here is an album of where she lived before the mill was busted and the dogs taken to surrounding rescues: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0575982&type=3
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!