View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
luvlee
YT Addict

Frankly, you can buy a very unhealthy Yorkshire Terrier. It is overbred by many many unscrupulous people who believe that as long as they can get a dog (any dog) really small, they can sell it. It is a shame and a travesty. It's gotten to the point that so many "pure bred" yorkies don't look like the breed standard any more.

On the other hand, you can purchase a really healthy and beautiful yorkshire terrier puppy at a competitive rate as well. You must understand that when buying any pure bred animal, that you FIRST BUY THE BREEDER. You don't find a breeder by looking at the adorable pictures on a website or even in person. You find a breeder based upon his/her knowledge and experience with the specific breed.

I would suggest that you consider a breeder who shows dogs. That doesn't mean you're purchasing a "show dog." Not every dog born from champions is itself a champion in the ring. Many times, show breeders have puppies that due to one flaw or another can't be shown. Those dogs will be adopted to pet owners - usually with a contract to spay/neuter. That's because the breeders don't want you to breed their animals. They cultivate specific lines that they've developed and only the best dogs will be bred/shown.

A dog purchased from a show breeder will likely be very very healthy and beautiful. It will also likely have a great temperment - which is needed for the show ring.

NEVER purchase a dog from a pet store or breeder that is only selling puppies - even mixed breeds. I read one entry somewhere lately where the person was describing a puppy mill as having puppies in cages on top of one another. The puppies peed & poo'd right through the crates and onto the dogs below. Those puppies could not be trained.

If you are inclined to purchase a "mix breed", I'd suggest you find a shelter dog. You'd probably get a better history about the background of a pup from a shelter than from a pet store.

You can find a great yorkie if you find a great breeder first.

Good luck. Tracey
luvlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!