View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
NamelessAria
Yorkie Talker

Question Are Morkies Really Better?

So my fiance and I have finally gotten moved and settled and all and he is ready to start looking for a puppy with me. He asked me what breed I wanted and I told him I want a Yorkie and he says "don't you mean a teacup morkie? You know mixed breeds are healthier and more well-behaved."

I tried telling him that from what I've seen in my research there are no "teacup" Yorkies/Maltese/Morkies and such as those are already toy breeds when bred to standard. He got really agitated with me over me referring to the "breed standard" and snapped about how we're not looking for a dog to show we just want a pet so breed standard doesn't matter and "it isn't like some small dogs grow to be more than about 7 pounds anyhow." I've seen people on here with purebred Yorkies that are over 10 pounds with some of them being closer to 15 which in my book that counts as a dog growing larger than you expected so... rude unwarranted comment on his part. And I'm worried if he goes looking for a "teacup" puppy he is going to end up buying from a puppy mill or less than reputable breeder.

So to win the "argument" about how clearly mixed breeds are better all around, he goes on google and reads off the first page he finds on why mixed breeds are better to me as if that random website was definitive. Sigh, men. I need some help convincing him that mixed breeds aren't magically healthier. (Unless they are??) Especially with morkies (or so I think?) since Maltese and Yorkies both have genetic predisposition for liver shunts, luxating patella and collapsing trachea so I would think 2 parents (regardless of breed) with those genes would produce a baby with those genes.

I also need help convincing him that it is REALLY important not to pick a puppy from some shady website. The one he is the most interested in right now has like 10+ different breeds on the sites (Ashland Virginia Pet Store & Small Breed Dogs | Pauleys Pups) and that good breeding does really make a big difference. I don't want to end up with some poor puppy from a puppy mill that grows up sickly with behavior issues and doesn't even look like the adorable Yorkies I've fallen in love with Edit: The reason for posting the website link is so people can see what I'm talking about with my concerns. He told me the reviews were all excellent but something about the site feels very "puppy mill" to me somehow.

Any help here is appreciated. It isn't about winning the argument for me (although it does peeve me a little that he assumes I'm an absolute idiot on all things dog related after the tons of time I've put into research). I've seen some people on here with morkies and other mixes so who knows maybe I'm the one who is wrong. If that is the case I can accept that.

Last edited by NamelessAria; 06-13-2013 at 08:51 AM.
NamelessAria is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!