View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermancuso View Post
First off you need to calm down. Second off I have no idea what apri is besides that's where he is registered. I want another puppy from him but I need to know a price range for apri bc I've never heard of it. And I would never breed a dog knowing he would cause havoc in creating puppies.
I'm not sure why you told Yorkiemom to calm down, she's a very knowledgeable breeder and can give you the straight facts. I really value her advice.

You say that your not sure what APRI is and it’s a free pet registry for commercial breeders. It’s was started by commercial breeders many of which are considered puppy mills.

Quote:
APRI - AMERICA'S PET REGISTRY INC. Advertises free registration for commercial breeders. Non Profit 'dedicated to the preservation of the professional pet industry', dogs and cats. Founded by retailers of pets (commercial breeders and resellers). Registries
The AKC has been cracking down on breeders for several years, their primary purpose is as a registry for purebreds and so a breeders records most be in order, and they must submit to DNA tests if they breed over a certain number of dogs. They have thrown out breeders with sloppy record keeping or if they were breaking laws regarding kennel conditions. The pet industry decided to make their own registries and most pet owner don’t know the difference, most pet owners don’t check these things until after they buy the pet. APRI registry is basically worthless, because it’s not a reliable registry. Another reason people use alternative registries is when they bought their AKC dog, the seller didn’t include breeding rights, all good breeders do not automatically include breeding rights, so the dog you buy might be AKC registered, but the offspring can’t be registered. So these people basically steal the breeding rights and register with one of these alternative registries. It’s really important that you understand that breeding your dog will change his disposition and make him more aggressive, and less interested in you and more interested in finding a female. The number one cause of death in unneutered males is injuries due to car accidents, you’re dog is much more likely to run away and they can smell a female in heat 10 miles away. While you’re dog might be a great pet, he shouldn’t be bred. The only dogs that should be bred are those that are registered with a reliable registry and those who have had all the costly genetic health tests, and those who have been deemed breed worthy by AKC judges and those whose owners really have studied breeding and understand the risks and liabilities involved.

Join today and remove this ad!