View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Is the bowl shiny or does his ID tag or collar clank against it? Did your breeder feed the puppies out of a pan or shallow type ring feeder? It could just be the change in type of eating utensil is a little too much for this baby. Maybe try a flat plate or pie pan and see if that will work, then slowly change to a saucer and then shallow bowl and then a deeper one. Moving the site of the bowl can help some dogs, too. My Jilly was like this when I first got her and had to be fed in a particular way off the floor but we eventually worked up as I described to a full bowl over time. Little by little I would place her food on the floor and some soaked, microwaved and cooled food in the dish and it smelled better, had a different consistency she loved. She would eat her food off the floor and then timidly get the better food out of the dish and slowly I placed less and less on the floor and more in the dish and then saucer and then shallow, then deep bowl. It worked. Have had rescues like this also and we slowly transitioned them the same way. Just put the best stuff or some treats in the bowl or dish you want them to learn to eat from and they will over time start to have more positive feelings about that type dish. Eventually they will eat out of anything!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!