View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
You know, it is hard enough to get people to do routine blood work on their pups...there are probably not many who would do BATs.

And, what's next? Xrays, MRIs and spinal taps to rule out AAI and GMe? Of course you will say those tests are expensive...yes, they are...but in my thinking, we see a lot of those things...so why not?

I just think sometimes we can worry too much.

Sure we see sick pups here on YT but that is often why people come to YT...they have a sick pup and they have been googling. I don't think YT is representative of all of the yorkies that are owned.
Linda I am not talking about AAi or GME, but LS is an increasing concern in this breed.

And yes I do think that Xrays and OFFA of hips on the Yorkies should be done. This is from a concern over several breeders here in Canada at our meetings for the Yorkies. The adhoc reported incidence rate appears to be rising in this breed.

Again we struggle with less, far less than complete reporting of health problems in any one breed. It is a crying shame we can't get more complete recording/reporting across all vet offices, health hospitals etc.

Again Linda you are at one end of the spectrum the rescuer. NOt the breeder who is trying to breed to insure all of the above is clear in their breeding pair, and in their puppies..

The test of BATS is an inexpensive one, that can give pet owners a direction forward and inform their vet and themselves on how to feed and nuture this pup over their lifetime. Not to mention for the breeder to understand that at 6mths old so many of this litter tested clear.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!