View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
lyon810
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneJ68 View Post
Welcome to YT hopefully you will get some good responses.

I am still dealing with this with my 6 month old yorkie Bentley. He is excellent with his pee pad training. I live in an apartment as well. When I first got him he was not allowed outside due to cold weather and waiting on getting all his vaccinations completed.

Now that he is so good a his pad training we are working on getting him to potty outside as well. It was a struggle to get him to potty outside the first time. Now he's just hit and miss as to if he goes outside or not. I can take him out and right away boom he pees. Other times I can walk him for 30 minutes, will not go and then he goes right to his pad as soon as we get inside. He has only pooped one time ever outside.
This is exactly what happened with us. Got Max in February and it was just brutal to take him outside in the cold. He's also perfect on the pads. The one time he pooped outside was when we left him with a friend for the weekend. She has a bichon frisee.

I thought perhaps taking him to an area with a lot of dogs would perhaps encourage him to mimic their going outside. But nothing.

I am all for taking him outside and maybe it'll happen on it's own. But I want a more proactive solution. I've attempted to train Max to go on command. Catching him doing his little potty dance near the pad, stopping him, and then repeating the command "do your business" and he does it. Unfortunately, this command has not translated into the outdoors.
lyon810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!