View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
MauiGirl
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Thanks for starting this thread. It will be a great place to share thoughts and info about Liver Shunts and other Liver issues.

It will take me a while to check out the links you posted.

But, as an intro I will tell you that my 5 yr. old Yorkie Tiki is suspected of having mild MVD. At 7 months, during a pre-spay blood panel her ALT was elevated, which led to BATS that were a little high, then an ultrasound that did not detect a shunt, and not wanting to open her up for a biopsy, the vet said she most likely has MVD. I have managed it and kept her mostly symptom free by feeding a lower protein/fat food, and avoiding fatty treats & people food, and avoiding toxins and vaccinating very conservatively. I used liver support supplements for a year, but discontinued as it seemed to ruin her appetite.

She is thriving, and sometimes I wonder if she even has MVD, until somebody comes along and gives her a little bacon or cheeseburger bite. Arrg. Sick for a week. Flea prevention meds react badly with her too, and luckily I no longer have to use them

At the time we were testing her in 2008, YT members were recommending a Protein C test in diagnosing LS. I haven't heard of it so much lately. I'm wondering if it is currently used in the top LS Vet Schools?

Also, back then, several members advised joining the Yahoo Liver Support groups (2 of them), and I wonder if anyone here is still participating in them. There was good info and support there however I found the Yahoo format hard to follow.

Again, I am happy to have this thread to share info and ideas and update what I have previously been told and practiced in dealing with liver issues.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!