View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Welcome to Yorkie Talk. No need to apologize for starting a new thread. It's encouraged so that more people will see your thread and try to offer advice.

I believe Yorkies and small dogs need frequent potty breaks. How old is your boy? When Max was a pup, he thought he could only potty on his pad. He didn't understand he could go outside until one day during our walk, he couldn't hold it any longer. When he peed and I praised him wildly, he wanted to do it every day. Same with pooping.

Although my boys would prefer to go outside, it is difficult for us to take them outdoors as often as they need to go -- and I don't like taking them in our yard after dark. Therefore, we leave the pads for them.

If you would like to maintain the piddle pads and save on the expense, you could use washables.

If you prefer to change to strictly outdoor training, it is like starting over with training. Set up a schedule of frequent breaks and take your boy out when he wakes up from sleeping or naps, after meals, whenever he gets excited or after play time, and maybe in between.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!