View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Marhcarter
♡Huey's Human♡
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzys dad View Post
Hi all. Izzy is now almost 3 and her personality is still changing. Her all-out war with me about treats vs. food continues to be an issue with her starving herself for 2+ days at a time to make her point.
Anyway, the other day we were walking and I hear this noise coming from her and I look down to see she is eating something. So I shoot down and grab her head and pry her mouth open and after much struggling extract a sliver of chicken bone well over 1" long that was on the way down her throat! This would have been the end of her as it had sharp edges all the way around and pointed on both ends. Then yesterday she managed to find a french fry, but until I knew what it was, the same panic ensued.
I frequently have to walk her at night, so now I am wondering if I need to muzzle her during those times for her safety and my sanity. Do they make ones this small?
Help appreciated!
Thanks,
CHristopher
I feel for you. I have the same issue. Huey will eat treats all day and never touch his kibble, given the chance, even though his treats are mostly green beans, carrots, pieces of fruit, occasionally some cheese and tiny Blue Buffalo training treats. When he picks up something he isn't supposed to have, be it edible or not, the only way I can get him to drop it is to "trade". Since Izzy is so treat motivated, make sure you have some treats in your pocket on walks so you can get the offending object away from her. Be aware, though, it can be seen as rewarding bad behavior, because now Huey seeks out stuff he shouldn't have so he can get a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
I hate muzzles unless the dog is aggressive and needs it during training. You need to train her to not pick things up tell her a firm no when she does it and take it out of her mouth it might also help to train her to drop it.*If you cant see I would take a flash light with you and point it at the ground and look a little ahead of you as you go. A muzzle will make her miserable and that means she is going to associate miserableness with a walk and I don't think you want that.
Good point! I also like the flashlight idea...scan the road ahead. These little monsters can find all sorts of tiny things that we would never see, though.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!