View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
OwnedByJezebel
YT 1000 Club Member

My Jez recently had surgery for LP and also TPLO for a torn tendon. Tuesday will be 8 weeks, and we go in for x-rays on Wednesday, so we are right behind you on the recovery calendar.

Our instructions were total confinement for the first two weeks, except for potty breaks. Then, beginning on the third week we were instructed to take walks 2-3 times per day, beginning with a length of 5 minutes and increasing by 5 minutes each week until the walks were 20-30 minutes in length. We are up to 25 minutes.

When she reached the six week mark, I started allowing her a little bit more freedom and she is not confined to the ex-pen. She can get up and move around from one bed to another, get water, go to the back door and ask to go outside, and just move around a bit more. We have boxes on the furniture so that she will not jump on/off of them anda sign posted on the front door asking people not to knock or ring the doorbell (that sets her off). When we allow her to sit with us on the furniture, she is teathered to us so that she cannot jump. She has not been left alone the entire 8 weeks, either me or my husband has been with her at all times.

So that's the "physical therapy" we've done up to this point. I have noticed that she favors the good leg sometimes when she gets up from resting, like it is stiff or something, so what you are seeing is probably not unusual. Katy-yorkie 's Buster went through surgery on both legs and has been completely rehabbed and released to do full activities for a long time, and she mentioned that he still limps occasionally.

Even though Jez is doing great, I don't expect her to be fully released on Wednesday. We will probably get further instructions for more increased activity / exercises for rehab for the next 4 weeks to work on building the muscle back up.

Did they give you any specific instructions on what to do to build the muscles back up?

Here is a short video (featuring Jez's surgeon) where he discusses rehab, it contains some useful tips. Frequently Asked Questions Just scroll down and look at the next to last video. I know your pup did not have TPLO surgery, only the LP fix (mine had both LP and TPLO), but the rehab and building back muscle would be the same.

Last edited by OwnedByJezebel; 05-25-2013 at 08:34 AM.
OwnedByJezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!