View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Dukendaisy
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019 Advice on how 2 should behave at 10weeks

Hi everyone,

I am really new to the forum and am very happy to have found y'all. I had my precious Indie for almost 14 years and had her since she was 8 weeks old, I know now she was very young. I was devastated by her death and the only way I knew how to heal was to open my heart again. Long story short my Hubby and I decided to get 2!! They are brother and sister, Daisy and Duke, and I could not love them more. Daisy is quite small and Duke is what I think is a decent size for his age. Indie would have been in your teapot group at her heaviest and healthiest was 11lbs!!

Anyway I am unsure of how 2 should behave together and how I should be treated by them and where I stand in the scheme of things. They were born on March 8th to a reputable breeder in whom I have confidence. They are young but they were a litter of 5 and all the pups were more than ready to be away from Momma, she did offer to of course keep them longer but we discussed it many times and all agreed they were ready. Just saying because I know most people on here feel that 9 weeks is too young to leave the Momma. lol

I do not see any adverse behaviour from them in this regard but my questions are with how they behave together since I have never been in this situation before. They love each other and cuddle but the play has changed in the last week between them. Duke is very hyper and Daisy had been more chill. The play has evolved into being very rough and very mouthy with them and now they are both biting and chewing on David and I and that is not ok but I don't know if they are too young to learn this yet? I keep thinking that if the litter was still together this would be happening right? I remember Indie being very mouthy as a little one but cannot remember if she was like that at 10 or 11 weeks.

Also Duke gets so wound up that if I pick him up during play he goes nuts!! Wiggling like crazy to be let go and not stopping no matter how long I try to hold on! I have tried a firm NO but it has no effect and this is a big concern because I do not want this behavior to continue with him. Daisy thankfully gets really calm when I pick her up immediately so I hope that does not change. They play so rough the past few days that I get scared someone is gonna get hurt, especially cause Daisy is so small, and so I pull them apart and try to redirect them with a toy which works for a little bit. They are so freaking competitive with eachother that they chew on the same teether or chew toy and what one has the other must take and I am wondering on how to stop that also before it gets dangerous between them.

I am hoping that some of you have been in this situation and can help assuage my fears and help me with some training techniques. I should note that they still love to cuddle on my lap or if they are being naughty and wake me up they love to climb my arm and cuddle in bed for a few minutes so I do not want that to change because I very much need a cuddler pup.

Thank you very very much for reading this loooooong post.

Karen, Daisy n Duke.
Dukendaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!