View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoLuTAL View Post
I have a yorkie named Austin. He is reaching 5 years old and such a loving little guy. I always had noticed his little "tough guy" attitude.. I would always have a hard time walking him because if he would see any1 or any other dogs, he would lose his mind. He tries to get out of the leash, and want to run up to anyone he sees. I believe that he just wants to meet the people he sees and get the attention that myself and my wife give him. Anyhow, for the past few years his barking was not terrible, he simply would "ruff" if he hears someone walking into the building and from time to time bark alot if he thinks that someone is trying to come into the apartment. If I have to bring in a plumber or something, he loses it. He will bark non-stop until the guy actually leaves or at times if the visitor actually picks him up and shows him lots of love.
Now, we lost our apt during Hurricane Sandy a few months back and he was pretty shaken up after seeing the absolute mayhem that happened that night. He had to stay with my mom for a few months and now that we got another apt. on the same block (almost identical apt), he is a different dog. He barks non stop all day. He is on high alert 24/7. He doesnt eat out of his bowl, he cries until I pick the bowl and him up and let him eat that way. Our old apt. had wall to wall carpeting and this one is all ceramic tile. Im not sure if it is because he slides alot because of the tile or what but I hate to see him in such distress. My neighbors are going to complain sooner or later because of the barking and the other issue is that he gets rough with my wife sometimes. He will cry for her to pick him up and when she goes to get him, he runs away and barks and growls a bit. If she gets upset with him about this then he will lose it from time to time and recently tried to bite her legs while jumping at her. I am so worried about him and need to know what can be done to control him. With me, he is my 2nd child. He loves me and never tried to bite me. I think once or twice in his lifetime he has lost it with me, but other than that - He loves me and doesn't want to leave my side. I want him to be this way with everyone, and most of all, I need him to calm down and stop barking all day long as he does. I get worried that this is becoming permanent. This has been a little over 1 month since the move and it does not seem to be changing.
Please Help!
My boys had/HAVE severe seperation anxiety. I have no idea why... but they do. I got letters from my condo association that they were going to have to be rehomed if they got anymore complaints of barking. I had to do something and quick. I turned a radio on for them during the day when I was at work. I played it just loud enough to drown out noises from outside, and it really helped with the barking. I think it soothed them and they didn't feel they had to be on super hyper alert mode all day. I never got another letter once I started the radio going.
You may want to exercise him more, take him out for a couple walks a day for at least 20 mins. Get him tired, a tired pup is a happy pup. He'll want a lap to cuddle on, you can softly pet him and let him know that you take care of him. Make him sit and wait for his food, do not free feed anymore (if you do). When he acts up or growls or snips/bites, immediately put him away from you. If he's attached to you, he may not like sharing you with your wife, either you or your wife, pick him up and put him in an Xpen or gated room where he can see you but not get to you, for 5 mins. Take him out and repeat as often as needed until the behavior stops. You need to do it right away, do not wait, the second he snaps, growls or gets mean, gate him for 5 mins saying "NO!", then let him out.
This little guy is scared, nervous and protective of you. You need to reassure him that you'll take care of him, not him take care of you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!