View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresCutePiggies View Post
It was my understanding that emotional support animals are NOT service dogs, much like therapy dogs are not service dogs, though people often use the terms interchangeably incorrectly. For this reason, they do not have to be trained to do a specific task like a service dog does. Also, they are NOT permitted everywhere like service dogs are, with the main exceptions being flying on planes or perhaps living in an apartment that does not allow pets. If flying is your biggest concern, you may be in luck, because that is one of the places ESAs are most commonly used.

There are psychiatric service dogs, but they are not the same as ESAs. Here is a good link with a little more info: What is the difference between a psychiatric service dog and an emotional support animal? | Service Dog Central

I hope that helps a little, and you can figure out if Jenna is an ESA or PSD, as the law is written. No matter the title you put on her, I know how our pups can be our biggest supporters. Good luck!
^^ This.

An ESA is NOT a service dog nor a therapy dog.

A therapy dog must pass a TDI Test. These dogs are allowed in certain hospitals, nursing homes, etc, to help make people happy. They are not allowed on planes, or anywhere else that doesn't normally allow dogs.

A Service Dog is trained for a specific task and trained extensively. Typically, they go through 2 years of training before even being titled a 'service' dog. They are allowed pretty much anywhere.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!