View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
lackadaisi
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Changing Estimates Mid-Procedure

I don't have a lot of experience with typical vet practices, but I would like some insight. I took my eight-year-old yorkie to the vet for an unrelated issue a few weeks ago, and the vet mentioned that he needed his teeth cleaned. I know that he did, and I probably should have gotten them cleaned long ago, but it is so expensive so I had just kept putting it off. But this time, I realized there was no excuse. His teeth were very dirty and really need help, plus she mentioned that he may not be able to go under for too much longer due to age.

So, I asked how much it would cost. She said it would be between $500 and $800, depending on the number of extractions. I said, ouch, but yes, I should, so I asked that they do the bloodwork that day and then I scheduled an appointment, for today.

Mid-procedure, while the dog was still under, the vet called and said that there were more extractions than she thought and that it would be $1500. Is this at all normal practice? What should my reaction to this have been/be?
lackadaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!