View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randi88 View Post
We have been taking care of a family friends Boston Terrier for a couple of months because they have been in and out of the hospital several times a week. They are elderly and the husband fell at the end of feb. and broke several ribs, and had bleeding on the brain. That left Libby with no one to come and take care of her so she was staying locked up constantly while various family members refused or forgot to go let her out and feed her. She is a taller leaner boston than the ones I am accustom and really did not have much weight to lose in the first place. Almost built like a Italian greyhound or something. After getting over being terrified of everything and being depressed because she suddenly was not around her owners she did fairly well. Now she has started to drop a little weight. Nothing major but as I mentioned did not have a whole lot to lose in the first place. You can see the tips of her hip bones now and sometimes you can catch a glimpse of her ribs. She was on Beneful when we started taking care of her but I started feeding her TOW like my babies get because quite frankly I would not feed a rabid raccoon beneful... the stuff is just terrible IMO. We took her to the vet to make sure nothing else was going on and we got the all clear and he said she seemed healthy and suggested feeding a puppy food to bulk up a little. Well TOW is all life stages. Can anyone suggest a supplement I could add to help her gain a few pounds? She is eating plenty and is not a extremely high energy dog. The weight loss is not extremely noticeable or anything but it's enough that I was concerned. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Maybe you could just increase the amount you are feeding her? That certainly adds calories! (Now I am taking cover and ducking my head!!!).......Milk Bones have never been recalled, and each Milk Bone has 75 calories in it! If the girl will eat a couple of Milk Bones/daily, you will be giving her something she will enjoy and it is good for her chewing/teeth....I have a teapot Yorkie that LOVES his "cookie" and will turn himself inside out for a Milk Bone! He just gets one in the evening, and he WAITS for his cookie!!! How sweet of you to take this little girl in while her owners are in a terrible spot....thank you for doing that!

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 05-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!