Thread: Ticks and fleas
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
sportschick
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I don't like them either - I only use Advantix about 3x a year though so I'm not too worried about it (in the warmer months).

I use a spray if we're going to be walking through heavily wooded trails and I just spritz him all over just to attempt to keep any ticks off. It's called "U Tick Me Off" by Mutt's Nose Best. Seems to work good!

Jackson came up limping 3yrs ago and it was due to Lyme's Disease test coming back positive. A small round of doxycycline and he was all better. He's tested negative the last 2 years... but lymes is so tricky, you can get false positives, etc. Kind of confusing.

I am going to look up that U Tick Me Off. Love the name. Cripes, I don't even go through woods, trails, grass, etc. I don't even let her go into the baseball park across the street because there are way too many HUGE dogs that go there, plus people let their dogs poop and don't pick it up. Nice for the baseball teams that play there!! The only place she is "exposed" to grass is at my friend's fenced in yard. The grass is really short and they treat for ticks at the beginning of the warm weather. I have been talking to people around where I live and everyone is saying how bad the ticks are this year.

Along those lines, a friend of a friend spent a ton of money on the chemical spot ons for his huge dogs and one of the dogs got Lyme Disease anyway. And he lives in a city as well. So, the spot ons don't seem to be the answer either if a dog can STILL get Lyme Disease.

I have to wait 4 - 6 weeks after the tick bite to even have her tested again for Lymes, so in the meantime, I am just watching her closely to see if she shows any signs. The vet on the phone seemed pretty sure that it wasn't a Lyme tick, but the big dog ticks can also carry diseases.
sportschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!