View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Mostly dogs yawn to show stress, uncertainty, feeling unsure. It's what they call a displacement behavior usually used to help calm themselves. If you call a nervous, excitable or anxious dog to you, many will yawn as they get near you because they dislike having their personal space infringed upon in that way. If they want to run and jump on you voluntarily, that's okay and they feel in control, knowing they will jump on you and dash off but when called to you, the anxious dog can get suspicious of what might be going to happen and start licking his lips and yawning a lot. They get called to us so much for grooming, giving medicine, putting on a collar or clothing, inspecting their eyes and ears, nails clipped, teeth brushed, head petted - especially by children(dogs usually see that as a sign of dominance and it is uncomfortable) and being called to us might also result in the oft-dreaded face-to-face encounters(dogs don't care for that challenge either usually) so many will lick and yawn when called close to show their anxiety about what might be going to happen to them that is uncomfortable, dominating or a direct challenge. So usually a yawn is a way of coping with anxiety or stress. Excitement can stress a dog so if he thought you were maybe getting ready to leave or people were about to come over or other exciting things about to happen, the excitement stress of any of that can cause yawning.
I agree that it can be nervousness and stress, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyshuman View Post
My Buddy he yawns when he gets excited.
My boys yawn when they are excited to go on an outing. I think it is a release of pent up energy. When I ask them if they want to get ready, they will dance around me and yawn a couple of times.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!