Thread: Extreme Anxiety
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post
Hello, I'm a newbie and need some sound advice please...
I just brought home our new Yorkie babie two days ago. He is 12 weeks old, and has extreme anxiety. He trembles, wets, and slobbers, with interaction. We were told about his problem by the breeder before we brought him home. That is the very reason we brought him home. We want to give him a loving calm home but I need to know what I'm dealing with and what you wise and experienced owners would suggest. Thank you in advance for your replies!
First welcome to YT Glad you found us.

I am happy the breeder was upfront with you about his nature.

Now if you have not brought him to the vet for his check up - do so now. Very important to do this within the first 24-72 hours. You want to know if there are any medical issues for sure. He also should have done a special blood test at 16wks and repeated again at 6mths old. This is to determine if his liver is functioning properly and hopefully to rule out LS - Liver Shunt.

So my first question is do you have a quiet home? Are there only adults there and generally speaking not a lot of noise in your home?

It sounds like your pup (ruling out any bladder or UI infections) may be either or both a submissive urinator or excitement urinator. This will take time to correct, and just might be a now and again issue for their lifetime.

So in the beginning and especially when you exit and leave your home, do so quietly and don't make a fuss over the puppy. Calmly clean up accidents with an enzymatic cleaner. THis will remove the scent. Do not scold the puppy for accidents that happen when he is excited or scared. Scolding will not work, and may worsen his response!

INtroduce him to new places - toys - sounds - gradually. Once he has all his shots, take him for short walks outside.

Introduce him to his harness while in his Xpen or playpen. Have him wear it for several hours a day over several days, before going out with him. Try putting it on and off several times a day - while he is in his pen. Clean up his accidents matter of factly - no scolding! Keep and even warm tone with your voice - steadiness is very good.

Every day several times a day - sit on the floor - Let him come to you - say Good boy - give him a treat. Cheerios can work well. When he does come pet him softly as well. but first let him sniff your hands your clothes - everything. Again if he has an accident calmly clean it up.

So those some ideas for you
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!