View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

My first Yorkie had to have 2 surgeries for an impaction, which recurred about 3-4 times within a year or so. That's when I learned about how to check and express anal glands, lol. After that, it cleared up and she never had any more problems.

A breeder told me to squirt a bit of Panalog into the anus, that would help get things functioning normally. I still do ths occasssionally, depending on if the dog is having discomfort in the area, or if the glands seem to be remaining full more times than not.

I've also heard that dogs with allergies tend towards having anal gland problems, although not all dogs with gland problems have allergies. So if a food change is made, and one starts to see anal gland issues, IMHO I would find another brand/type of food. Also I would add more fiber, like green beans or pumpkin as needed. I would think that some dogs may require more fiber than others... no set formula for this, just trial and error. Her stools may be fine, but her anals maybe could use an assist in getting past this in the form af a bit of additional fiber added to her diet, till normal function returns.

If this becomes a chronic problem, surgery can be done to remove the affected gland/s. Risks are involved as with any surgery, but as a last resort it may be an option.

My Tinkerbell had a different issue, her anal glands would just drip constantly. This I believe, was a fear response, as she lived with 6 kids under the age of 12 YO. So too much play and teasing had an effect on her. When she came here to live, I had forgot all about this gland issue for 2 months, then realized I should be checking them. I checked and they were fine. So a better diet and environment is all that made a difference for her. She had been returned to the Humane Society and was considered unadoptable/special needs due to this problem.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!