View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Exclamation Jenna may now have a bad tooth? (FAO ladyjane)

In the last three days or so I've seen Jenna's appetite waning a little bit. Since she's been on the pentoxifylline for almost the last month, I figured she might be having some upset stomach. She is also taking 1/4 tablet of sucralfate twice a day and has recently stopped taking 1/2 to 1/4 tablet of benadryl twice a day also.
But last night she was really rubbing her face and scratching at one side and even wiping at one side with a forepaw right after eating her kibbles. She is refusing to let me really look in her mouth, but she does have one little bit of a tooth in the middle of the upper left jaw that looks like it's either chipped some off or is being reabsorbed by her gums.
She's been due for a dental, but with the illness she suffered last month (turned out to be vasculitis caused by some kind of allergic reaction to her diet) and all the meds she is on now, I think having her teeth done would be difficult if not dangerous. The pentoxifylline is the biggest worry. I know it changes the red blood cells and while not a blood thinner in itself it often acts like one.
We are also running out of this med and her vet is out of town until the 30th. I don't think we have enough to go the full dose until then and I think she needs to be weaned off of it, doesn't she?
I am currently soaking her kibbles in warm water to help her eat. She snarfed them down this morning like she was starving. She is eating Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Vegan formula, it is the only thing she is allowed.
Does anyone have any suggestions in this situation? Do I need to get her more pentoxifylline to help wean her off the drug? She's been on it since the 28th of March and is supposed to be taking .8 mls twice a day until the 30th. As we're going we may not have enough to give her until then.

Help please?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!