View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
It's great that you are researching breeds to get the perfect companion.

I would not recommend a Yorkie to a person who wants a quiet lap dog. The only way I would get a Yorkie in that case is to adopt an adult to be assured of the personality that suits your lifestyle.

Most Yorkies are active dogs. As one renowned exhibitor wrote in The Complete Yorkshire Terrier, they are lap dogs until they see something they are interested in, and then they are off like a shot.

My boys love lap time and cuddling, but they need lots of exercise daily.
This completely! I'm actually surprised so many are recommending a Yorkie. They DO tend to my 'yappy'. My boy has the most high pitch bark that is very annoying and he tends to like to alert me to any unusual noise.

Most Yorkies I meet are active, they are terriers after all, and I don't consider most to be 'lap dogs'. Even my friends yorkie, who is very mellow and doesn't require much in terms of activity and would easily lay around on the couch all day, will be the first to fly off the couch barking and yapping at any activity going on outside.

Of course, you will find yorkies that fit your requirements, but the breed as a whole would not be what I'd recommend for what you want.

Havanese would be a far better choice IMO. They also tend to be better with children, strangers, etc. And while they can be a very active breed as well, they tend to be more capable of chilling on your lap for days if necessary. If you are looking for something a bit smaller than the Havanese, look into Chihuahua's as well.

Last edited by Britster; 04-16-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!