View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
MandiesMom
and Shelby's too
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenejmnz View Post
Hey everyone, I found this website a few weeks back and have learned so much from reading all these threads. Unfortunately I do have a lot of questions that I need help with and I wanted to post them all in one post. Any or all questions that you can answer will be great.

BTW a little background on me is that I'm a 21 year old student living in south florida and I will be getting a male yorkie in mid May. Im not 100% sure on his name yet (more like 98%) but I think I'm going to name him Joey with Thatcher as his middle name. Is that silly? Did anyone else give their Yorkie a middle name?

Anyway here are the questions (they are kind of random):

1. What do you think of me having the puppy pee on a puppy pad in my balcony?
-I live in an apartment (btw I will be getting netting for the balcony and he will always be on a leash) and instead of taking him out where other dogs pee I was wondering If I could put a pee pad in a pee pad holder on my balcony and walk him out there to pee and also have a pee pad inside. Would that confuse him?

2. If I cut off water after 7pm for example do I still need to take him out to pee in the middle of the night if he goes to bed lets say 2 or 3 hours after that.

3. If I wake him up at 6am at about what time should I put him down to sleep? How many hours does a 9-12 week puppy sleep?

4. What kid of brush should I buy him? Can you recommend any in particular or add an image so I get an idea.

Honestly I had more questions but my mind went blank right now so I will add them later but is there any advice you guys have for me? I have never owned a dog before.

Thanks again!
Hi there! Welcome to YT!

I like the name Joey Thatcher!
I think many of us gave our babies middle names. Mandie doesn't have one "technically" but I call her Mandie Jean.

1. I don't know if having a pee pad outside on the balcony and inside will confuse him, but I don't think it's necessary. How big is your balcony that you can use that for a walk? You will want to exercise him regularly (they have a lot of energy and if you don't burn it off, they can be a handful ). If you aren't going to do regular walks, just make sure you play fetch and stuff like that inside where he can run and get tired.

2. Why would you cut off water? He needs to have access to water if he is thirsty. Most won't get up and drink after they go to sleep anyway but if he needs to, he needs to. I wouldn't cut off his access to water and fact is - if you are going to get a puppy, you need to be in it 100%. That means, yes, losing sleep for a while at night because their little bladders can't hold it all night (whether you cut off water at a certain time or not, btw). No short cut around it...gonna have to let him get big enough where he can physically hold his urine. A puppy just can't do that. Otherwise, you are going to have a mess, my dear...a puppy laying in urine. ick lol

3. Puppies sleep a lot. They play full force while awake and then sleep a lot. You need to just set up a schedule for him that works for you. When you go to bed, put him to bed. But again...you are going to need to set that alarm and get up throughout the night to let him potty.

4. By far, the best brush and comb I have ever used on Mandie is a Madan Pin Brush and a Madan Mustache Comb. You can get both from mimimomo on her website toplinepet.com

My only advice is keep reading and keep asking questions. You'll do great because you are preparing ahead of time!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!