View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Jess87
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
That is tough but if you will just keep taking him out often, the dogs should get accustomed to your bringing him out and begin to ignore him. This happened when I first got Tibbe and the neighborhood dogs soon settled down. It sure stopped him up for a time though and interrupted his potty training for about the first two weeks. But I kept taking him out every dang 30 minutes so in time, it got to be old hat for the dogs to see us out and they began to ignore us except for looking up sometimes. When I first potty train a dog, I take them out every 30 minutes the first two weeks to imprint them with the idea of the whole thing and it sure works to defuse neighborhood dogs quickly. Also, totally ignore the barking dogs and they won't bark with the hopes of getting your attention, another reason they will bark sometimes. In fact, as soon as one starts barking, turn your back or walk away from the direction the bark is coming from. Even in another yard, they won't like that and can learn in time that remaining quiet might even get you walking toward them and giving them some attention. And no matter how wildly they bark now - in time they will grow bored with that when it gets them nothing but silence and non-attention from you.
Think I'll give this a try. Thanks!
Jess87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!