View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Sennie
Yorkie Yakker

Default 1st time for all of us

we have a male and female, baby momma is Zoey almost 3 and baby daddy is Zeus almost 1. This is Zoey's 1st and most likely only litter. She is a 6 lb traditional Yorkie and Zeus is about 8-9 lbs and a golden parti. We had no intention of mating them because we bought them as pets NOT for breeding purposes so declined to spend the extra $500 each on papers, and Zeus is what some consider undesirable although I see more show traits in him than I do in her.
Anyway It is entirely my fault she is pregnant. We were keeping them apart and misread mating craze for loneliness and let them play for a few minutes and Zeus was QUICK, he nailed her within 2 minutes of being out of the kennel. They chased each other around, she ran behind the table, he followed her and before I could get to the table he got her.
FF, 2 weeks ago we took her to the vet and he did an ultrasound, he saw 3 puppies from that. He said Ultrasounds aren't as accurate as xrays because it can't see as much. He said so far she looked great, healthy and strong and the puppies didn't look too big. He didn't foresee any complications but wants up to take her in at 56 days for the xray which is the 10th. Ironically he got her around midnight of the 13th of Feb. So maybe it's true love? lol
So from my calculations at 63 days that would make her due the 17th. My human daughter is 20, and is due with her 1st baby the 21st in MS. We are supposed to be there, we are driving, Vet said it's ok to just take Zoey with us. Zoey loves to travel so that isn't what I am worried about. This is what I am worried about.
We are ALL 1st time whelpers. It's Zoey's 1st litter and the 1st time hubs or I have ever done the puppy thing and none of us know a thing about what we are doing. I can't even figure out how to take her temp correctly. Seriously how hard can this be? I keep thinking it can't be right because other than the 1st day I started taking it, it hasn't been over 100 and the 1st day it was 100.3.
I started feeding her a TBS of cottage cheese, then I find out that I wasn't supposed to do that until after the puppies are born not before. Vet said that for the last week to start feeding puppy food but she is such a picky eater I don't even know what to feed her. She prefers high end raw diet so I have been giving her a couple of bites of raw hamburger every few days to hopefully compensate for her lack of appetite lately.
Since neither of us has had anything to do with birthing puppies how will we know if Zoey is in trouble and what do we do if she is? How do we help her have her puppies? Any pointers or help would be most welcome. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Sennie; 04-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Sennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!