View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I agree with linda that if you want to home cook, a vet nutritionist consult is the way to go to make sure the diet is really accurate for Peek. Of course I recommend Dr Remillard, and a consult w/ diet is $250 with her. She actually did a lot of kidney research while at Angell. Her website is PetDiets - VNC putting pets' health first!

The other alternative is to go to www.balanceit.com and use the free recipe generator and select kidney disease. Once your vet approves the diet you can see it and purchase the Balance It - K product which is the likely supplement (you can't buy it w/o vet approval). Also, Balance IT has a new formula called Balance It Canine-K rice blend -- it is a milled rice flake formula and all you do is add meat and cook it. Again your vet has to approve.

As for supplements, omega 3s in a therapeutic dose is said to help parts of the kidney regenerate. I use Nordic Naturals 1 capsule per day for my almost 8 lb. Of course you should check w/ your vet.

I'm sorry about Peek a Boo's diagnosis

As for the omega 3s .. the vet nutritionist did recommend it for Olivia who has PLN but I could not get her to eat it in anything. The food she is on has some, so she said she is ok.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!