View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

I have had both small and large dogs all my life. I honestly do not know or understand what these people are talking about when they speak of "small dog syndrome." I certainly have seen some badly behaved small dogs but it is only the owners fault for not training the dog and not the dog's fault.

My dogs have been taught basic manners from the time they were puppies. Sit, stay, down, come, are basic things that even a small breed puppy can learn if the owner takes the time to teach the pup. I believe the problem comes in when an owner feels that because the dog is small it does not need to be taught not to jump on people or that since they can pick up the dog when it is some where it should not be they don't need to teach the dog the "NO" command or "come' or "sit."

I have read very misleading articles by so called professionals that say that allowing your dog to sleep with you or sit on the furniture brings on this behavior. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is basic manners and obedience that any dog of any size needs. They need to know that their owner is in charge and will handle and difficulties. When they sense weakness in their human they feel the need to take the lead position and that will cause the dog to bark at things and even to get over protective of family members.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!