View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
rubynrosie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I don't have a huge big dog...Nika is a 65lb husky who is the gentlest sweetest dog. She has never intentionally hurt anything in the 11 years I have owned her. I felt quite safe getting a yorkie with her. Again, with Lola, she never rough housed with her. One day though Lola had a piece of cheese she was resource guarding- she never had done that before to the extent she was doing it. Nika was on my bed. Lola was on the floor being a crabby butt at the cats and if Nika even looked at her. I was getting off the bed to get the cheese and Nika jumped down, just to get off the bed. Lola lunged at her as she was jumping down and they hit just right, breaking Lola's neck. It was such a freak accident. I bring this up because when we talk about owning big dogs with yorkies it seems we talk a lot about the energy level, aggressive level etc of the big one! We have to remember too that the yorkie has a feistiness and attitude at times. I do things differently with Ruby and Rosie even though Lola's death was not Nika's fault. Treats are handed to each dog instead of dropped on the ground. If its a chew type treat I keep the little dogs separate from the big dog until they are done chewing. Then the treats get picked up and put away. I still supervise like crazy. They are never alone etc
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!