View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
This is sad. The only people who scream don't so it are people who leave their dogs in pain. The very same people who over and over find themselves up against a wall because they didn't do things right at the onset. I personally am not ok with my dog having rapid onset arthritis from failing to surgically correct a torn CCL. If you want to make it about money, then that's your choice. Honestly, not all surgeons are knife happy. The surgeon I use charged me zero dollars to repair my dog's leg a second time after it was our fault not his that we were in that situation. Similarly this same surgeon has refused to perform leggs perthes surgery on my dog teddy who has not yet shown lameness. He easily could schedule it and charge me a couple of thousand dollars and send me on my way. I think it's up to YOU to find a doctor with ethics, and there are many to choose from.

I totally agree with this.

Additionally, I will add this: Recently we took three pups to the boarded surgeon who we use in Houston. One of them had been seen by a vet who said she needed both knees and hips operated on. She would occasionally fall down. In the end, after he saw these three pups, he did not recommend surgery for ANY of them, including the one who had been seen by the other general practice vet who actually had offered to repair the hips and knees at a low price (first clue to run away). So...NOT true about surgeons. If you have not taken your pup to a board certified surgeon for an evaluation, I suggest that you do and voice your concerns with him/her.

If your pup does indeed have a torn CCL and you don't do surgery, there is enough written out there about the ramifications. Up to you whether you want to heed these warnings. I thought you wanted actual good feedback...sounds to me like you want everyone to say it is ok to leave it go without surgery. I hope for your pup's sake I am misreading this.

Oh...and BTW, those of us who are posting about surgery are not biased! We are not vets...simply pet owners who have been in your shoes.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!