View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschicka View Post
I just got back from taking Cupcake to the Vet's for his 13 week vac. He got a little squirmy after the vet had checked his temperature and then moved on to check his ears. She said that he was showing agression and was too young to be acting this way (I didn't notice any agression other than being squirmy). She went to get a muzzle and when she tried to put it on him he went crazy and started trying to bite her. She held him down (which made him worse) but couldn't get it on him. She took him in the back to get help from an assistant. When she brought him back in he had the muzzle on and had her assistant holding him. He was not happy at all. He cried when he got his shots. She said that it was a bad sign that he was acting so aggressive. I have never seen him act like this at all in the 5 weeks I have had him and this was our 3rd time at the vets (this was a different vet seeing him, there are 3-4 at the clinic). She mentioned that it may be his natural behavior coming out and that if it continues that I should look into behavior training. When they took the muzzle off of him he wouldn't eat the treat she tried to give him and when I picked him up he nuzzled his head against my neck and just layed in my arms. Since being home he went right to sleep in his play pin and is still asleep. Cupcake, My daughter and I are very upset. I feel that the vet turned his nervious jitters into this very bad experience for Cupcake. I don't know what to think, did he just not like the vet or is he really going to have aggression problems? He gets along fine with our older dog and shows complete submission to him and although he likes to chew (we have been working on "no bite" when he puts his mouth on our skin) I have never noticed any aggression. ANY ideas or simmilar experiences?
I believe it is irresponsible for this vet to label your pup aggressive. Trips to the vet are stressful for many dogs and can bring out behaviors that the dog would never display anywhere else. There are some very nice, well-trained dogs out there who have to be muzzled when they go to the vet.

I had a bad experience with our first vet. Max was 13 weeks old and behaved perfectly during his first exam, endured multiple shots and a vaccine poured down his nose. The doctor then proceeded to demonstrate how to let him know who is boss. She forced him onto his back and grabbed his snout. We did not go back.

Look for a new vet, one that both you and puppy will be comfortable with.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!