View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
What's Joel's reaction when you return after being away? And, more importantly, what's your reaction? Does he race to the front door as you bend down and give him hugs and kisses?

I'm only guessing, and this may have nothing to do with the independence you're looking for, but often times the owner's return is so anticipated that it's all the dog can think about when you're gone. It's separation anxiety. You might even Google that term and see if anything you read rings a bell.

I used to race in the house and give my dogs hugs and kisses because I missed them as much as they missed me. But I read something here, I think, that said you should return and pretty much ignore them for a minute or two. You can say hi, but don't be overenthusiastic. You want to teach them that your leaving is no big deal. It's just part of life. And your return should reinforce that.

Again, I'm only guessing.
That is exactly bang on Mike. I also have taken my dogs with me to lots of places, sometimes they stay in the car, while I visit with a friend for a bit of time. They are crated in the car, and weather is usually favourable.

I have as a matter of course boarded my dogs - a few times of year - with a very trustworthy trainer. They do without home, and have hours of time off lead, and also 1-2 hrs daily obedience training.

They know I always return. The most difficult part is when we travel together and stay over-night in motels. They absolutely do not like being left in the room - nevertheless I do for a short bit if only to get ice from the dispenser.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!