Thread: New Addition
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
MandiesMom
and Shelby's too
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanieoak View Post
I have a friend that just had her yorkie bred and told me she would save a puppy for me . My husband agreed to let me get a puppy, but the only thing is we already have a yorkie that is about 5 years old. Her name is Baby. I adopted her and she was already house broke and obeyed pretty well. I have many questions, but one question is will the new puppy follow and learn from Baby? I know I will have to potty train it, but I didn't know if it would learn too from example. Also, Baby sleeps at the foot of my bed and sometimes sleeps next to our bed in her cozy little bed. SHould I still keep the puppy in a crate in our room while we are sleeping even with Baby not being in a crate? any tips on how to train a puppy would be great. I am nervous but super excited. I probably won't have the puppy till late june, but I want to be super prepared.
Hi, welcome to YT and congrats on getting another Yorkie! I think Baby will end up teaching the new pup a lot. I wouldn't rely on that for potty training, though. I would definitely recommend not getting the pup before 12 weeks - let the mom and it's siblings teach him/her some good social behaviors and the breeder could probably have the pup pee pad trained before even coming home to you

I would not crate it until it is a bit older unless you are there 24/7. The pup will need to relieve itself every couple of hours. An xpen or playpen is a great idea for when you are gone. I definitely would crate over night until the pup is older so it won't risk harm in the bed. Make sure you get up every few hours during the night, though...don't want the pup to "go" in the crate and then come to think it is ok to sleep in pee or poo

Definitely join our YT family and ask all your questions. You will get some great info and tips
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!