View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Lil Sis
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default low protien diet for dog with cronic kidney disorder

I hate to post this question because I know it had been answered before. I did do a search but most of what came back was a few years old or very confusing.

I do appreciate any help or advice given.

Sam is close to 10 years old. He is a lasha and the oldest dog of my three. I have been noticing little "tell tell" signs, excessive drinking of water, takes awhile to pee in the morning etc. I think he may have lost some weight (the vet says no but he is mine..I know). About 10 days ago I notice he was excessively licking his penis..to the point of a raw bleeding spot... off to the vet. He was checked for stones (xrays), infection etc. a blood and urine sample -- and sent home with antibiotics and something for the pain. results said he has protein in his urine so a more complete blood test was done.

Well his test came back with the beginnings of kidney failure.. cronic kidney disease the vet said. He has to be on a low protein diet. The vet sells hills K9.. but said I could still homecook if I did my research.

I have gone onto the Balance-it site and purchased a diet but will not have it until my vet approves the proscription, this could take a couple of days.

I have tried to research other foods that I could buy that would be a supplement to homecooking or for when I can't cook. I notice the hill k 9 diet can has corn gluten listed as an ingredient. My guys are allergic to corn.. the vet said it was more important to get the low protein, but I don't toaly agree.

So... my question(s).

Links to threads that are fairly recent that have dealt with this ..

1) suggested foods?
2.) what percentage of protein is low protein
3.) recipes for low protein

Any thing else I should know?

I will do what I have to do...
Thank you!
Shinja
Lil Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!